"People accuse me so often of attempting to turn them into toads that I'm tempted to try and actually learn how."Aliena Surana (born 9:12 Dragon) was a Marches-born Fereldan Circle mage, the only known child of the infamous First Enchanter of Kirkwall Orsino Surana. She was the favoured apprentice of Kinloch's First Enchanter, Irving, and would have most likely been his chosen successor had her life not steered in another path.
(in her worldstate) Roped into an escape plot by her former best friend Jowan shortly after her Harrowing, Aliena was on the verge of being sent to the mage prison Aeonar before Warden-Commander Duncan conscripted her into the Grey Warden order. As one of only two survivors of Ostagar, Aliena distinguished herself during the Blight, eventually becoming known as the Hero of Ferelden for her slaying of the Archdemon and bringing the Blight to an end. After the Blight and Fereldan civil war, Aliena was made Warden-Commander of the Ferelden Grey Wardens, as well as Lady Chancellor of the kingdom, and was also, more infamously, the king's unofficial consort and mother of his heir, Moira Wynne Theirin.
(Jaime Cousland / Embla Brosca's worldstates) Aliena was caught aiding and abetting the escape of a blood mage and was sent to the mage prison Aeonar. No further known trace of her exists within the pages of history.
(Robin Amell's worldstate) While Robin was aiding in Jowan's escape, Aliena was undergoing her Harrowing, and as such had no involvement in the boys' plan. Though her Harrowing was successful, during the chaos of the Broken Circle Aliena was killed by a blood mage while attempting to defend a group of apprentices. Robin grieved for the loss of his first love, and her loss fueled him for the rest of his journey.
Physical Appearance Edit
Standing at just 4'10" (1.49 m), Aliena is incredibly short, even for an elf, and it is usually the first thing people will notice about her. Slender, slight, and physically unimposing, Aliena makes for a poor physical fighter but more than makes up with it through her magic. She generally appears well-fed and healthy but had some health problems stemming from the over a decade she spent behind the Circle walls and lingering effects from her childhood malnutrition.
Depending on the time she's encountered, her hair will usually be the second thing people will notice about her. From the second she stepped into the Circle until a short time following her Joining, she never once cut her hair; by the time she was eighteen, it had become a long, dark, curling mass reaching past her waist. Though never a nuisance within the Circle walls itself, Aliena quickly grew frustrated with how her hair would snag on tree branches and tangle at a whim, though she refused to have it cut out of stubborn refusal to "give in" to the tyrant matron who forced her to shear her hair, even years after she left the orphanage. It was only after the Broken Circle, however, that she would have Alistair cut most of it off, leaving her hair at shoulder-length. After the Blight, she would grow out her hair to reach her elbows, mostly wearing her hair in elaborate braided styles.
The third thing people will notice about her are her eyes - Aliena's eyes are a very light blue, often appearing grey or colourless in certain lights. They were once a deep brown, nearly black, but turned pale as she grew in magical ability. She also has deep shadows under her eyes, owing to a difficulty in and lack of sleep; this, combined with her pale skin, made her appear somewhat "creepy." Owing to stepped outside only rarely for an entire decade, Aliena was incredibly pale, but freckled easily in the sun. At first, she hated the dots on her face and arms, but her opinion of them softened when Alistair told her they were like "little stars" on her skin.
In terms of jewellery and body modifications, Aliena tends to wear little. Jewellery was largely frowned upon in the Circle, but during the Blight, she noticed a set of studs in the Denerim market, and Zevran offered to pierce her ears for her. She later pierced the industrial of both ears herself and generally likes wearing small studs or hoops.
Prickly, grumpy, and prone to sarcastic remarks, Aliena tends to turn many people away by her initial demeanour. Generally keeping to herself, Aliena appears to prefer the company of books and spells to actual people. However, much of this is just facade; after losing most of her friends from the Circle, she was reluctant to open herself up in the aftermath. Underneath it all, Aliena desperately wants to love and be loved. The Circle was not a place for open affection, and though she had friends, once they all left - Karl was transferred to Kirkwall, Anders escaped, Amell died during their Harrowing, Jowan betrayed her trust - she found herself alone again. Though she is deeply loving to her friends and those she genuinely cares about, after Jowan's betrayal, she had steeled herself and resigned to a lack of real connection with anyone. Eventually, over the course of the Blight, she did, much to her shock, manage to find actual kinship with others again, and slowly she started to dismantle the wall she had built up.
Beyond that, Aliena is insatiably curious about all things magical, and is fascinated by what most others would find distasteful. As a child, she spent much of her time poring over almost every single book in the Circle's expansive library, and that hasn't changed much into her adult years. She is somewhat prideful of her skills, but since her Harrowing has taken care to see that it does not overwhelm her. Once she sets out on a particular task, she will devote all her energy into seeing it through, and will stubbornly refuse to give up on it with all her might; Aliena's infamous mule-like obstinacy has been as much of a boon as a bane throughout her journeys.
Talents and SkillsEdit
- Magic: Aliena received a comprehensive magical education during her years at the Circle. She discovered early on she had an affinity for ice and lightning magic, learning the branches of Primal magic quickly; however, she never managed to grasp fire spells in the same way. Nevertheless, she was powerful at summoning electricity and ice to her will, and her "Storm of the Century" would become famous when she used it to greatly weaken the archdemon during the final battle of the Fifth Blight. She was also well-trained in the Creation school of magic, and was taught some Entropy and Spirit spells.
- Necromancy: Considered morbid by most young mages, Aliena was deeply fascinated with the magic of Nevarran Mortalitasi early on, partially because it was difficult to learn, partially because it earned her judgemental glares and sidelong glances from the other apprentices. First Enchanter Irving approved and encouraged her interest, deeming her responsible enough to handle such an esoteric school of magic. One of her favourite spells was Virulent Walking Bomb, which she used frequently during the Blight. Once the Blight was over, however, she largely gave up on necromancy; many people cannot tell the difference between necromancy and blood magic and as such, she stopped practising as to avoid throwing suspicion on herself as "the king's witch."
- Spirit Healing: Though she never had any great affection for this particular school of magic, Aliena was discovered to have a great and prodigious talent in healing magic from a young age, and was trained by Wynne as one of the few spirit healers in Kinloch Hold. Her talents were greatly relied on during the Blight, when she (much to her frustration) used her healing powers far more than her beloved necromancy spells. She derived her powers from communion with a Spirit of Learning, who was drawn to her fascination with new types of magic.
- Herbalism: Like all mages in the Circle, Aliena received training in mixing potions and essences during her apprenticeship, though she was not particularly skilled, beyond making small poultices and lyrium drafts. After recruiting Morrigan and Wynne, she left potion-making chiefly to the two other mages in the group, though she did rely on these skills to heavily sedate Connor before she and the group set out for the Circle for assistance in freeing him of the demon.
- Languages: Besides Common, Aliena has a decent grasp of the Old Fereldan tongue, the language used in Ferelden before it was largely replaced by Trade tongue - enough to hold a conversation in parts of the country where it is still used, but not enough to be considered fluent. Circle mages were encouraged to learn at least Orlesian and Tevene in order to communicate between Circles and to be able to read scholarly articles in both of those languages; Aliena considers her Tevene to be quite decent but her Orlesian to be shoddy until she learned more of the language out of spite to show up the noblemen who didn't expect it out of her. She was also taught a few choice words of Antivan by Zevran (read: cussing), and picked up a few words from the Dalish. Fenedhis is her favourite elvhen word.
Aliena Surana was born in the Free Marches city of Kirkwall in early 9:12 Dragon to two elven Circle mages from the Gallows. Her father, Orsino , would eventually become First Enchanter of the Gallows; her mother, Helaine , was transferred to the Montsimmard Circle shortly after her birth. Like most children of Circle mages, Aliena was taken by the Templars to a Chantry orphanage in the Denerim alienage; as she has lived in the kingdom for almost all of her life, she considers herself wholly a Fereldan, not a Marcher. The orphanage was under-funded and badly managed, and as such Aliena spent most of her early life hungry and neglected, and she was illiterate until, as expected, her magic surfaced at age five, after which she was taken to the Circle at Kinloch Hold.
- Romanced Alistair
- Hardened Alistair
- Kept Leliana softened
- Saved Redcliffe
- Went to Circle to save Connor, intimidated demon into leaving Connor
- Sided with the Mages
- Brokered peace between Dalish and werewolves
- Crowned Bhelen
- Sided with Caridin, Anvil is destroyed
- Did not defile the ashes
- Alistair killed Loghain in duel, Anora refused to marry him
- Alistair is king, remained his mistress
- Alistair did the Dark Ritual
- Killed Archdemon without dying
Here's what happened after the events of said game, brosef.
From the Circle Edit
Father figure, but was
First love. They died during the Harrowing.
Anders and Karl Edit
Her "dumb older brothers".
Anders in particular: Taught her a lot about healing. Overjoyed when he became a Warden. Upset that he left, unspeakably angry when she learns what he'd done. Furious that he abandoned his principles to do something so terrible.
After all their other friends left by some fashion or another, they were all each other had left. Never the closest in their friend circle until forced by circumstance.
Neither Alistair nor Aliena liked each other much when they first met. They got off on a bad footing when she found out he was an ex-Templar in their first conversation, leading to an initial distrust and deep impatience with him on her part, while he disliked her irritable attitude and jumping to conclusions about his opinions on magic. However, after all the Wardens were wiped out apart from their small group, the two were forced to put their differences aside and find a way to work together. On one of their first nights in camp, Aliena volunteered to stay up as guard, and drawing lots, Alistair was chosen to keep watch with her. Though for the first half of that night none of them said a word to each other, much to Alistair's shock Aliena started conversation by asking him if he wanted to talk about Duncan. Caught off guard, Alistair confessed his deep grief about what happened to the other Wardens, and Aliena admitted she was taking it much harder than she appeared to be.
Aliena and Alistair realized they were developing feelings for each other around the same time, though he was much more forthcoming about the matter than she was.
Hatred > Grudging Respect > Kinda friends? > Ended up trusting her w/ ritual > Whoops stabby stab
Aliena was a teacher's pet / 10. She loves her awesome healer mom.
Dumb elfy older brother.
Rabbit (Dog) Edit
Was a cat person until she met him. Now she's all about the puppers.
See: above. Dumbass big bro. After Chantry Boom > Broken pedestal. Really not happy about it.
Slowly became bros. Will never stop teasing him about Nessa.
Her biggest whoops.
- Aliena was named after the female main character of Ken Follett's novel The Pillars of the Earth.
- She is demi-panromantic and grey asexual.
- Aliena's favourite food, even years after she left the Circle, are the honey cakes the tower's cooks made on rainy days. Many of her favourite memories are tied up in biting into the yeasty dough as the rain outside lashed against the windows and savouring the sweetness. She has tried to get both the Denerim Royal Palace cooks and the Vigil's Keep cooks to recreate them, many, many times, to no avail; there's something the cooks are missing, but she can't put her finger on what. Maybe it's just nostalgia.
- Aliena has a fascination with maps and star charts and collects them with fervor.